Interview Questions That May Be Asked
1. Work Experience
- What do you feel were your major responsibilities in your last/current job?
- Can you describe a typical day in your job?
- What do you consider your single most important idea or your single most noteworthy accomplishment in your last/current job?
- If I were to ask your co-workers about you, what would they tell me?
- Who was your best supervisor & Why?
- Most jobs have pluses and minuses – what are some of the minuses in you last/current job
- Tell me about the company’s culture that you’re currently working with.
- How are you measured in your current role?
- What are your primary initiatives for the next quarter (or two or three quarters)?
- How are your goals different from your goals last year?
- What do your customers look for from your company? How do they define the value that you create?
- When you lose business, what key factors cause that to happen?
- What do you look at every day to see if you are on track?
- How will you measure your success? How will you identify that your objectives have been met? What would be the specific metrics?
- With the challenges you face, what provisions have you put in place to help you accomplish your goals?
- Tell me how the company’s mission statement or strategic goals translates to your performance.
- What pressure are you under to increase productivity/efficiency? And what have you done?
- What must you do to increase shareholder value?
- What differentiates you and your current company from your competition?
- What is your process for making decisions?
2. Job Related
- What are the two most important trends in your industry
- In the next six months, what is the single factor that will have the greatest impact on your market (new products, new competitor, new legislation, etc.)?
- Which companies in your market are moving most quickly and in which direction are they moving?
- Are there any specific issues or trends that you see in our industry? How will they affect you? How do you plan to respond?
- What resources do you utilize to keep abreast of changes in your market (periodicals, web sites, associations, newsletters, publications, etc.)?
- What do you do personally for your professional development?
- What made you apply for this job?
- What appeals to you about this job?
- What are some of the things in a job that are important to you?
- What are some of the things you would like to avoid in a job and why?
- What are your current salary expectations?
- How have you arrived at this figure? What do you think it takes for a person to be successful in
- At the end of the first year, if you got this job, how would you measure your success?
- What do you know about our organization?
- What did you do to prepare for this interview?
- Have you applied for other jobs?
3. Personal Goals and Regards of Self
- What is keeping you from meeting your goals right now?
- What is the biggest obstacle that is keeping you from being most effective?
- What do you see as the most challenging part of achieving your goals?
- As a person, what would you consider your greatest strength?
- What do you need to improve on?
- What motivates you?
- What are you aiming for in the long run – say 10 years from now?
- What has been the biggest failure or frustration in your business life?
- What are the most important considerations for you in choosing a job?
- If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be?
- What kind of company would you like to work for?
- Why did you decide to go to college?
- Tell me about the activities you were involved in.
- What made you choose your major?
- Are there any special accomplishments you are particularly proud of at school?
5. Outside Interests
- What kinds of things do you like to do best with your free time?